Webinar broadcast date: Thursday, 9 July 2020
09h00 New York | 13h00 GMT | 14h00 London | 15h00 Johannesburg | 15h00 Amsterdam | 18h30 New Delhi | 21h00 Singapore | 23h00 Melbourne
Located along Central Africa’s Copperbelt, the Democratic Republic of Congo is becoming an increasingly important copper-producing country. The DRC’s copper mine output jumped 12.6% year-on-year in the first half of 2019 to 672 000 t, compared to 597 000 t in the prior year period, according to consulting Roskill.
Demand for copper is also growing. It is essential for use in renewable energy systems that harness solar, hydro, thermal and wind power, with future increases in its demand expected as global car markets progress along the road towards greater electrification.
Key discussion points will include:
• DRC as a strategic copper producing country
• Copper demand and supply statistics from the formal and artisanal mining sector
• The role of copper in sustainable development
• The use of copper as an integral raw material for EV’s, battery energy storage and renewable energy
• Future copper requirements from the renewable energy and electric vehicle market
• The importance of responsible and ethically produced copper and cobalt
Panellists: To be confirmed